Hey guys! Welcome back to another day of Blogmas 2018! I’m firmly in the Christmas spirit by now and am really looking forward to publishing these festive posts, hoping to get you guys excited for the holiday too! 🎄
Today let’s talk about advent calendars! Arguably one of the best parts of the lead up to Christmas, having the undisputable excuse to start your day with chocolate 😍 The only thing better than one advent calendar, is two. And to make it even better, this one is full of books! A book a day for 24 days sounds like the perfect Christmas countdown to me – and probably to any other bookworms too!
A book-vent calendar is exactly what it sounds like. An advent calendar full of books. Not only is this a really great thing to do for yourself (plus an excuse to buy yourself some new books 😍) but it’s also a super lovely idea to do for your kids! If you’re a parent who isn’t a huge fan of giving your children chocolate but still want to join in the countdown fun, gifting them a series of books is a wonderful replacement. Or maybe you’re the kind of parent who is happy to do the chocolate route but wants to do something a little extra for your munchkins – regardless, encouraging your kids to read is so important and definitely worth putting some effort into! Personally, I’m definitely going to try and do this next year with a friend so we can share our favourite books!
- DECISIONS! The first thing you want to do is decide who the calendar will be for and how long you want to keep it going for.
- Everyone likes different kinds of books so make choices based on what you think they’d enjoy.
- Of course, a regular advent calendar runs for 24/25 days, but if this feels like too much, you could always do the 12 Days of Christmas route instead, making it a bit more manageable.
- SHOPPING TIME! Go out and purchase the books that you’d like to include in the calendar.
- I’d always recommend looking for sales to help make this a bit more budget friendly. Waterstones run a lot of ‘buy one get one half price’ offers (look for the tables!) on novels, gift books and also kid’s picture books!
- WRAP THEM UP! Once you have your collection of books, you’ll need to wrap them up so they stay as a surprise for the lucky recipient. Make sure to number the parcels so you know which ones to open when.
- If you’re doing this for yourself but want a little aspect of surprise, you could get someone else to stick the numbers of the parcels at random so you don’t know which book you’ll get on each day.
- This is also a fab way to use up any spare bits of wrapping paper from previous years that you’ve been holding onto but end up too small for this year’s gifts!
- THAT’S IT! You’re all set to go! Open your bookish gifts, one each day and enjoy your new reads!
A few tips to make this whole process a little easier/more fun!
- If you’re on a budget, opt for books on sale/in a deal or go for smaller books. Waterstones have a few collections of smaller, cheaper books that are perfect for this kind of thing – also small enough that they could be read in a day!
- Don’t spend a small fortune on wrapping paper – try and use any scraps or bits that you have left over.
- If you have a re-usable set of advent calendar drawers you could always use those instead. Write down the title of a book on some paper and pop them in the drawers/pockets so that the recipient still has the element of surprise without you having to hand wrap each book.
- You could always incorporate this into a main present for a bookworm friend or family member. A good old stash of books is nothing to turn your nose up at and will keep them busy for quite a while!
Thank you for checking out my Blogmas 2018 posts and I can’t wait to share the rest with you! Check back tomorrow for more festive fun 🎅🏻
I’d also just like to point out that I don’t want to cause any offence to those who don’t celebrate Christmas, these posts are just a bit of fun to go along with my own personal celebrations.